Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blame: When All Else Fails, Point Fingers

Oh, how truly easy it is to blame everyone else for something that you are trying to weasel your way out of--to expect everything to be okay if you can just grin and snicker your way through it.  Blame is a double-edged sword, though.  You lash out at one, but their parry could only harm you.  So why, then, does one blame?  Is the guilt not enough to stave their attempts?  It is human nature that causes it.

In Arthur Miller's The Crucible, blame takes on a key factor in the play.  If not for blame, none of the events would have transpired at all.  Abigail's malicious intent is what causes the death of many innocents--all because of the base human emotions of fear and anger.  Her complete hatred towards John Proctor's wife is what caused her to lie and blame.  From The Crucible, it is made obvious that humans (in the end) are only out to save themselves, rather than another.  Whether or not the other will be harmed does not matter; their name will already be thrown into the mud without regard for what could transpire.

I haven't blamed someone else for something in what feels like a very long time.  Maybe I have and I don't remember, but it feels like it's been years.  Not since I was a child.  Going back to my true colors personality, maybe it was the guilt that I felt--the emotion.  I'm not sure.  I know I've blamed others for my problems, though, when I could have just sucked it up and tried to fix them on my own.  I'm sure many people have done this, though.  We have weak moments where the only way we could ever feel better is from putting the blame on others.  Not directly to their, face, though.  Only in our minds, to make ourselves feel better.

Maybe that's just me, though.  Who knows.  Regardless of that, it matters that blame only be placed on those that truly have done something to deserve such.

2 comments: