Friday, September 11, 2009

Categorization and Descriptions: Let's Make Some Friends!

It's very disgusting how judgmental people really are--he's too fat, or she's too tall, or he has a stupid voice, it's all the same: People judge, and there's not much more to it.  But from person to person, it varies.  Some have higher standards, while others just don't care.  What's most important is asking the question: Why do people do it?  What's the point of judging, categorizing, and describing people?  Where do we place them in society?  Where are they in our brains?

The truth is, they're not in our brains.  They're not anywhere but in the real world.  The perception of reality is what creates judgments.  One man could easily state that the sky is green and the grass is blue, and while others would easily refute it, there is no denying that this is truth to the man.  Cold, hard, irrefutable truth.  And so the same philosophy applies to categorizing and describing.  There are those religious radicals that will harshly categorize anyone who belongs outside their religion into their "bastard heathen" folder, but there are also some who will adopt a live-and-let-live policy.  To expect every single person to be the same is pure balderdash!

What is important is how you, yourself, categorize and describe people.  And how would I describe my styles of categorization and descriptions?  It's hard to say.  I would like to say I respect and treat everyone equally, but that's just not the truth.  No one could ever truthfully say that.  But do I try my best?  Of course I do.  I have weak moments, though.  We all do.  For me, though, there are some distinct groups:

  • Religious, racial, and political tolerance and/or preference
  • Favorite anythings (hobbies, books, movies, etc.)
  • Other stuff
There's more, but those are the basics of it.  Are people going to be tolerant of my beliefs in terms of race, religion, and politics?  If not, then why bother with them?  Will their taste in anything get me so annoyed and angry that I won't want to be around them at all?  If so, they'll be kept in their own little corner.

Every day, we judge and categorize and describe who we see.  It's not malicious, it's just human reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment