Tuesday, October 6, 2009

School Spirit

Contrary to popular belief, school spirit is not in any way important.  It's having fun that's important.  If someone likes going to school football games, then what's important is having fun, not cheering for your team.  Of course, there are other points that complement school spirit.  Without it, no one would really care about anything pertaining to the school.  Clubs could potentially not be formed, support for sports teams would dwindle, and the entire foundation of the American educational system would collapse upon itself, causing a cataclysmic event that would shake the entirety of the cosmos, rupturing time and space and bring about the end of reality as we know it.

Okay, so that last part might have been overkill, but you never really know.

Anyhow, the value of school spirit is a bit overdone, to be honest.  I guess I have some school spirit.  It's fine to like certain aspects of your school, but overall I'm not too big a fan of the rest of it.  I find too much bias towards sports and certain other things in the school, rather than an equal amount of attention towards everything in the entirety of the school.  Because of this, it's hard to have complete respect for the school and the decisions it undergoes.  Then again, it bought to Canon Rebels that I get to take pictures with, so I guess I can't complain.

Another reason it's not a big deal is that, in the end, it doesn't really matter.  You're going to graduate (at least, I'd hope you will), move on to college, and then go out in the real world.  No matter how big of a hot shot you were in high school, it's not going to just move on with you into your future jobs.  People may respect you and think you're great for being the one painting your entire body red and blue and bringing a blow horn to deafen people while you scream until you lose your voice, but is that really something you want to put on a resume?  And if, for some god-awful reason, you do put something like that on a resume, it's not like that's going to make you any more likely to get a job.

I'm just me, though.  I do what I do because I like doing things that I would actually do.  I don't truly care about the school all that much, so why exert the energy to make it seem like I do?

1 comment:

  1. Mr Lang, you hab\ve outdone yourself again. When I think of the Pleasant Plains High School blogging prgram, your name t\comes to mind

    ReplyDelete