Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Favorite Director

I've chosen director because it's much broader than choosing only a favorite film.  Plus, my favorite director composed much of my favorite movies, so there's that. 

Actually, since it's been so long, I'm not sure if this is what this blog is supposed to be about.  Let me check really quick...

Yep, I'm on track.

Moving along, my favorite thing to talk about is film.  I love movies.  I've developed a strong love of movies over the past few years, and along with this, I've grown a bit... snobby.  It's a negative aspect, I know, and I'm working to get over it, but the road is a hard one.  Anyways, the reason I'm telling you, my beloved reader, this is because of how it affects my taste in movies.  I don't believe it's really possible to be a connoisseur of bad movies.  Well, it's possible, but if one says they love movies and list their favorites as being Step Brothers, Transformers, The Happening, any movie with Dwayne Johnson in it, etc., then I'm not going to label them as a movie buff.

To get to my actual subject, my favorite director is Stanley Kubrick.  Why?  If I need to answer this question to anyone, then they're not into movies much.  God, there's my snobbery, again...  Whatever, it's true.  Stanley Kubrick was just a genius of directing.  None of his films could be ranked lower than four stars on a scale of one to five.  Half of his films have become classics, and four of them are regularly quoted on a day-to-day basis.  Each film is incredibly well-sculpted and toned to perfection.

2001: A Space Odyssey is indeed the greatest film ever made.  Not only is it brilliantly acted and intelligent, but its visuals still look like they could have been made with today's technology.  The philosophical and intellectual ideas it presents are mind altering, and will ring within each viewer's head for years to come.  I'd like to think the film had an impact on cinema like that of World War II's impact on the world.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb is more than just a movie I based my blog's title off of.  It is my favorite film of all time.  It's hilarious, enthralling, and intelligently witty in a way that is completely alluring.  I have never enjoyed a movie more than I enjoyed Dr. Strangelove upon viewing.

A Clockwork Orange is without a doubt Kubrick's most violent film.  Perhaps it's due to the character's love of "ultraviolence" that is a prominent theme in this film (as well as in the book).  This film is not for the weak of heart, though.  As a matter of fact, it was given an X rating at the time of its release due to its mountains of graphic content.  Well, not mountains, but it does have one scene in particular that will leave you trembling in your mind from its disturbing content.  Indeed, this is Kubrick's most psychologically tormenting film to date.  It intelligently commands an arsenal of tactics used to leave the viewer with an odd taste in their mouth.

Some more Kubrick films that you may have heard of are Full Metal Jacket, Barry Lyndon, Lolita, and--I'm positive everyone's heard of this one--The Shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment