Monday, November 9, 2009

Peaceful Protest

Honestly, peaceful protests are boring.  I like hearing about riots where four people are maimed with one person's ear chewed off.  Okay, so I'm joking around, peaceful protests are good.  Of course, I'm not sure about how much of a job they get done.  I'll be honest, the protests look great on paper, we look back on the 1960's sit-ins and such, but did they really do much at the time?  Sure, they symbolized something greater than what they were, they were humane and loving, allowing the hatred of others against them to be used as a catalyst in their plea for African American rights.

Though the protests were ironic in a beneficial way, they seemed to be seen that way due to us viewing them with loving eyes.  At the time, though, it's very likely they were viewed as idiotic, foolish, and counter-productive.  So what can we infer from peaceful protests?  I believe that there are two sides to the debate that must be addressed: Are peaceful protests productive for short-term fixes, or are they filler for a more cataclysmic event that truly changes the way everything becomes?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure.  I believe in peace being incredibly needed in the world, and that it's something we all should strive for, but I'm not sure how effective it can truly be in the end.  While I feel it should be the end-all-be-all, I struggle to see it approaching in the near future--or ever, for that matter.  Hey, it's a grim outlook, and though I respect everything that peaceful protests are and all that they stand for, I cannot truly condone them.  I am unsure of their final outcome and how well they end up being.  While violence is definitely not the solution, I'm not sure peace can be, either.  I guess it sounds stupid, but hey.

No comments:

Post a Comment