Monday, November 23, 2009

Veterans Day Field Trip

What is there to say about the Veterans Day field trip?  I'll say this: I just recently learned that the correct grammatical way of spelling Veterans Day is not Veteran's Day, but Veterans Day, minus the apostrophe.  Incredible, isn't it?  You learn something new every day, I tell you.  It's curious.

Anyhow, the field was, all-in-all, a pretty good success.  I was surprised at how well the whole school (or my group, anyways) behaved, as well as the respect most everyone showed towards the military as well as at the cemetery.  Now that I can praise the rest of the school for that, there's not much else I can say about everything.

The most exciting portion?  I would say the military base.  Why wouldn't it be, though?  I got to play with (unloaded) guns and night vision, as well as climb around inside a, what, five million dollar military vehicle?  If someone doesn't enjoy that, then something is incredibly wrong with them, I'm sorry!  I got to see bullets that were about four inches long and I held a gun that was bigger than my torso.

Moving along, the memorial was cool, it had interesting stuff and was well-designed.  The Air Force and Fire Department place was incredibly boring and not fun.  I didn't learn much of anything, and I got lectured by a man saying how we should stay in Iraq.  I did not like this place.

The Camp Butler Cemetery was much better.  I thought some people could be a bit more respectful, but otherwise, I was enamored by the entire situation.  It struck me in some way that I didn't think I'd be struck.  It was a pretty good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment