Thursday, November 19, 2009

Realistic Dreams

Realistic dreams are pretty crazy, I have to tell you.  As a matter of fact, they scare me.  I'm not sure what to believe when I have a realistic dream.  I'll think one thing, but it ends up being another.  How am I supposed to know if this one thing will be real or if another will in fact be real?  I'm not sure!  Realistically, it's easy to figure out what is reality and what is not.  Actually, it's very easy.  I'm not arguing what's easy and what's not, though.  The question of what is real and what's not is not up for debate!  At least, not in this case.  There are many philosophical ideas that could dismiss the idea that reality is reality.  This doesn't matter, though!  What matters is that I had a realistic dream once.

I was in second grade or something like that, I don't know.  I had a dream that I died and that the elementary school was heaven!  My family was there, too, because they died, apparently.  I was sad and all freaking out, but it doesn't matter, because I was dead too.  I walked around this apparent heaven and kind of chilled for a while.  Needless to say, when I woke up I was incredibly scared.  I kind of ambled about with an increasing idea of despair and sadness, feeling as though my life was fake and that I was actually dead.  I had this feeling persist for hours on end as I pondered my predicament constantly throughout the entirety of this ordeal.  Nevertheless, I came to the conclusion that I was, in fact, alive.

Am I alive now, though?  That's the question.  Maybe this is all a dream, and I'm really just in the middle of dying, like that one dude in An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, by Ambrose Bierce.

That would suck.

1 comment:

  1. You're alive, Drew. Because I am alive and you are here to annoy me in English :)

    ReplyDelete